Chow Chow Kootu Recipe with step by step picture. This Chayote Kootu Recipe is made with Chow Chow ,Yellow Split Moong Dal and Fresh Coconut.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
I kind of stay away from this veg chow chow. I dont buy them regularly. But amma buys them often and make kootu, poriyal with them. I have tasted them and it taste good only. Somehow i have not posted a single recipe using this veg. So when i went shopping few weeks back, i saw this veg and picked one.I decided to treat them and cook them like my papaya kootu or snake gourd kootu.
It was so fresh which insisted me to cook with that the next day itself. If not i never end up using them. So immediately i made the kootu and it turned out so yummy. I made some lachha paratha for lunch and served this kootu with them. It was delicious.
I love to add rice flour in my kootu recipe. It make the kootu creamy and makes it look silky. You have to try it to see the results. In the mean time i have so many kootu recipes in my blog, check them too…So give this a try and let me know how it turns out for you.
Ingredients for Chow Chow Kootu Recipe (Chayote Kootu)
- Chow Chow / Chayote – 1 medium size chopped
- Yellow Split Moong Dal / Pasi Paruppu – ½ cup
- Turmeric Powder / Manjal Podi – 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Water – 1.5 to 2 cups
- Fresh Coconut – ½ cup grated
- Dry Red Chillies – 2 to 3
- Cumin Seeds / Jeerakam – 1 tsp
- Rice Flour / Arisi Mavu – 1 tsp
- Coconut Oil – 1 tbsp
- Mustard Seeds / Kaduku – 1 tsp
- Urad dal / Ulundu Paruppu – 1tsp
- Curry leaves a sprig
How to make Chow Chow Kootu Recipe (Chayote Kootu)
- Take chow chow, dal, turmeric powder and salt in a pressure cooker. Add in some water. Cover and pressure cook for 3 whistle. Switch off the heat and let them steam escape all by itself.
- While the dal and veg is cooking, take all the ingredients for grinding in a blender and puree them to a smooth paste.
- Open the cooker and add the coconut masala. Mix well and simmer for 5 to 10 mins.
- Now make tempering by heating oil and crackling mustard, urad dal and curry leaves.
- Pour this over the curry and mix well.
- Serve with rice or roti.
If you have any questions not covered in this post and if you need help, leave me a comment or mail me @[email protected] and I’ll help as soon as I can.
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE OR ANYTHING FROM YUMMY TUMMY, MAKE SURE TO POST IT AND TAG ME SO I CAN SEE ALL OF YOUR CREATIONS!! #YUMMYTUMMYAARTHI AND @YUMMYTUMMYAARTHI ON INSTAGRAM!
Chow Chow Kootu Recipe / Chayote Kootu Recipe
Chow Chow Kootu Recipe with step by step picture. This is made with Chow Chow ,Yellow Split Moong Dal and Fresh Coconut
Chow Chow Kootu Recipe step by step picture
|Take a fresh chayote|
Source: Yummy Tummy