Centre for Environmental Law Education Research & Advocacy (CEERA), NLSIU, Bengaluru is offering its NPTEL MOOC Course on ‘ Right To Information And Good Governance ‘.
About CEERA, NLSIU
The Centre for Environmental Law Education, Research and Advocacy (CEERA) established in 1997 is a premier centre that focuses on research and policy advocacy in the field of environmental law.
About the Course
The course is designed to primarily elucidate the legal framework on the right to information
in India, the course by and large delves into the rights, remedies, exceptions, institutional
framework and procedural compliances under the Right to Information Act, 2005 and the
More specifically, it will also discuss important case laws that have shaped the law on
the right to information in India. Additionally, to give a comprehensive overview of the freedom of information the Course traces the legal development of the ‘right of information’ in comparative jurisdictions such as Sri Lanka, the EU, the USA and the UK, by discussing the laws in these jurisdictions and relevant lessons for India.
Public Information Officers, APIOs, First Appellate Authorities, Lawyers, Academicians, NGOs and Civil Society Organisations, Social Activists, Beneficiaries of Government Services, Legal Advisors, Information Commissioners etc.
- Week 1: History and Background to RTI
- Week 2:
- Legislating RTI
- Official Secrets Act and RTI
- Role of NGOs and activist in RTI
- Mis-use of RTI
- Important SC and HC judgments in RTI
- Week 3: Constitution and RTI
- Week 4: Salient Features of RTI-1
- Week 5: Salient features of RTI-2
- Week 6: Powers and Functions of the Information Commission
- Week 7: Public Authority
- Week 8: Exempted Information
- Week 9: RTI & Its Interface
- Public Records Act
- Whistleblowers Protection Act
- Judiciary and RTI
- Week 10:
- Ecological Perspective on RTI
- Lessons from RTI: Sakaala: Public Service Guarantee Act
- Week 11: RTI: A comparative perspective
- Comparative Constitutional and Comparative FOI regime
- RTI in Srilanka
- Week 12: How to Draft RTI Application and Appeals: Do it yourself
Prof. Dr Sairam Bhat – Professor of Law
- Professor at National Law School of India University, Bengaluru, India’s pioneer legal institution, with over 20 years of experience in the legal fraternity. His areas of specialization include the Law relating to Public Private Partnerships, Competition Law, Tendering, Contract Management, Environment Protection and the Law on Right to Information.
If you want a certificate, you have to register and write the proctored exam conducted in person at any of the designated exam centres.
The exam is optional for a fee of Rs 1000/- (Rupees one thousand only).
Only the e-certificate will be made available. Hard copies will not be dispatched.
- Registration Deadline: July 31, 2023
- Course start date: July 24, 2023
- Course end date: October 13, 2023
- Exam Registration Deadline: August 18, 2023
- Exam date: October 29, 2023
Interested learners can register for the course through the link provided at the end of the post.