The National Law University, Delhi (‘University’) through Project 39A is seeking to engage, on a contractual basis, two Associates (Litigation) at its campus in Dwarka, New Delhi.
About NLU Delhi
National Law University, Delhi (NLUD) is a National Law University in India, offering courses at the undergraduate and postgraduate levels.
About Project 39A
Project 39A draws inspiration from Article 39-A in the Indian Constitution on equal justice and signals the broadening of our work on the criminal justice system in India. It undertakes litigation, research, and communications relating to forensics, torture, legal aid, mental health, and the death penalty.
No. of Vacancies
Roles and Responsibilities
- Draft criminal appeals, review petitions, writ petitions, applications, rejoinders, mercy petitions, and other legal documents.
- Brief and assist senior advocates and advocates on record.
- Devise legal strategy and arguments for cases handled by Project 39A and carry out related research.
- Visit prisons across India to conduct detailed interviews with prisoners sentenced to death, and their families as part of developing legal strategies in particular cases.
- Regularly communicate with prison authorities to obtain case-specific information and documents.
- Present the work of Project 39A at appropriate fora.
- Contribute to the research and strategic efforts at Project 39A as and when required.
- Organise training workshops and conferences.
- Any other work that may be necessary to further the aims of Project 39A.
- Graduate with an LLB degree and enrolment with any State Bar Council.
- Those with full-time criminal litigation experience of two years or more at the appellate stage will be given preference.
- The ability to read/ write/ speak different Indian languages will be an advantage but is not mandatory.
- This is a full-time position based in Delhi.
How to Apply?
- Interested persons may send their résumé and a statement of purpose, explaining their interest in representing prisoners sentenced to death and the contribution that they see themselves making through this position.
- The statement of purpose must not exceed 750 words.
- Applications and documents will be accepted only through the link available below.
February 10, 2023
Click here to apply