UNFCCC or The United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change is inviting applications for its remote internship opportunity within its Climate Action Engagement and Recognition Unit.
The United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) is the focus of the political process to address climate change. The secretariat supports the Convention, its Kyoto Protocol and the Paris Agreement by a range of activities, including substantive and organizational support to meetings of the Parties.
About the Internship
This internship assignment is within Climate Action Engagement and Recognition Unit of the Communication and Engagement division, supporting activities related to the engagement, visibility and recognition of climate action by all actors (national
policymakers, businesses, investors, local governments, civil society organizations etc.). This work comprises relationship management, data management, workshop organization, research and analysis.
Under the direct supervision of the Team Lead in the Engagement team, the intern will work to on a variety of activities for Global Climate Action.
During the period of the internship, the intern will develop a deep understanding of:
- The Paris Agreement and its aims;
- Stakeholder engagement, including climate action opportunities and activities by non-Party stakeholders;
- The Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and their linkage with climate change;
- Development of communication materials;
- Data management.
Responsibilities of the Intern
- Support the organization and assessment of the stakeholder’s intelligence by consolidating large datasets from multiple sources, performing quality control checks, seeking clarifications and adjusting the data to the required standards when necessary;
- Conduct research to obtain relevant background information and updates on climate action of non-Party stakeholders, especially in relation to their public commitments;
- Support the organization of events, exhibits and workshops; Provide support to the engagement activities with various stakeholders, such as video conferences and meetings.
- Develop and update databases for stakeholder’s engagement;
- Develop succinct summaries of key data points for promotion and outreach;
Duration of the Internship
- The internship is for a period of 3 to 6 months starting from March 2022.
- The exact period of the internship will be determined based on the availability of the intern and the needs of the division.
- Must be enrolled at a recognized university (last year of bachelor, alternatively Master or PhD studies) at the time of application and for the duration of the internship, preferably in environmental science, international development, political science, economics, International Law, engineering, public relations or a related field;
- Language skills: Fluency in both written and verbal English is essential;
- General requirements: proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint); experience in reading technical documentation; use of databases, strong analysis and research skills and attention to detail.
- A laptop or desktop PC (with Windows 10 or newer) or Mac (with the latest MacOS update), as well as a reliable, high-speed internet connection.
- An Office 365 license will be provided by the UNFCCC to enable the candidate to access official emails, SharePoint, OneDrive and other office applications, such as Word and Excel.
- Further computer requirements:
- An antivirus application which receives regular updates;
- Browsers must be a newer version with regular updates enabled;
- Regular Windows 10 updates should be enabled with Windows laptop or PC.
- In addition, a mobile phone will be required to enable Multifactor Authentication (MFA) through SMS or the Authenticator App.
Whether the UNFCCC Internship is Paid
UNFCCC secretariat internships are not remunerated, and the selected intern will be responsible for all costs before, during and after the internship assignment.
How to Apply?
Candidates who are interested in this assignment and meet the minimum requirements must use the online application system and include a cover letter.
Due to the high number of applications, only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted for a telephone interview.
Click here for the official information.
Click here to apply online for the UNFCCC Internship.