The prosecution had recently moved the court seeking possession of 7 mobile phones which were alleged to have been used by the accused but discarded after the FIR had been registered.
At a hearing on Saturday, the Court opined that handing over the phones would not amount to self-incrimination and ordered that 6 out of the 7 the mobile phones, excluding one regarding which sufficient information wasn’t provided, be produced before the High Court registry in a sealed cover by 10.15 am Monday, January 31.
After the same was done, Director General of Prosecution, Senior Advocate TA Shaji, pressed the Court to release the phones to the Crime Branch. This was vehemently opposed by Senior Advocate B Raman Pillai, representing Dileep.
“Now they have given the phone but they want it to be examined at a facility of their choice. This is unheard of in the history of criminal law. They said they will give one of the phones only if we clarify which one it is exactly. That itself shows they have multiple phones. It is plainly revolting to common sense and logic,” Senior Advocate Shaji said.