Trying to shave off extra calories in order to lose weight? Then, do start by making little tweaks and adjustments to your daily diet and we guarantee those will lead to major benefits in terms of weight loss, and one way to ensure that happens is by eliminating processed foods with empty calories. Here’s one place you can begin with – cut down condiments – sauces, jams, ketchups, dips, salad dressings, sandwich spreads, and of course mayonnaise. No doubt, all of these add loads of flavour and yumminess to every dish, but they are all calorie dense and can make fat burning extremely difficult. Mayonnaise, in particular, is something we use liberally and generously on a daily basis to increase the flavour of sandwiches, wraps, rolls, and salads, but remember this gooey goodness is made by adding loads of oil and vinegar to eggs, and just one tablespoon may have up to 100 calories and 12 gm of fat! And as we all would agree, it’s hard to stop at just one tablespoon or even two, and that’s why skipping mayonnaise will help you cut a lot of calories. Having commercially-available mayonnaise regularly not only makes weight loss difficult, studies have found that most of them are made with soy oil, which can lead to increase in bad cholesterol, heart disease, and other health risks, with their high omega-6 fatty acid content. High sodium, artificial ingredients such as MSG (monosodium glutamate), added sugar – there are just too many wrong ticks in this creamy goodness. So, all of you who absolutely love the rich flavour of mayonnaise and want to find out better alternatives, here’s 10 of them:
10 Mayonnaise Alternatives For Those Trying To Lose Weight:
1. Greek yogurt: By switching to plain Greek yogurt, you can get up to 15 gm of lean protein per 100 gm also a good dose of probiotics, minus extra calories.
2.Mashed Avocado: A rich source of healthy fats, omega-3 fatty acids, and also rich in minerals like potassium and the healthiest replacement for mayonnaise because of rich creamy texture.
3. Hummus: Made from chickpeas, hummus is a good source of protein and good for weight loss. In fact, a survey has shown that people who consume hummus regularly have a smaller waist measurement.
4. Sour cream: Though it is a calorie-dense food, nevertheless, a much healthier option than store-bought mayonnaise.
5. Pesto: We have always underlined the importance of including healthy fats in order to boost the fat-burning process, and with pesto, you have a good source of healthy fats because it is made with nuts, olive oil, basil, garlic, but again, moderation is the key here too.
6. Mustard Sauce: Extremely low in calories, with no added sugar or other emulsifiers, mustard paste is a good choice.
7. Baba Ganoush: You will never miss mayonnaise after tasting baba ganoush because it is a rich and flavourful Mediterranean spread made with eggplants, olive oil, tahini (made with sesame seeds), garlic, salt and lemon and bit of other spices.
8. Tahini: Tahini is Mediterranean spread that’s made from blending roasted sesame seeds with olive oil, and it’s absolutely yummy!
9. Almond Butter: High in healthy fats, protein, and not to mention delicious, almond butter can boost weight loss when consumed in moderation.
1o. Homemade Mayo Recipe: Okay, not ready to give up mayonnaise yet? Then whip your own mayonnaise by taking 1 egg yolk, 1 cup of olive oil, and 1 tbsp of lemon juice. Mix the lemon juice and egg yolk, and whisk continuously, adding olive oil bit by bit, till you get a creamy and emulsified consistency. Add salt as per taste.
Though these are some healthier alternatives to store-bought mayonnaise, portion control and calorie deficit are essential if you are trying to lose weight. Also, do follow the Rati Beauty diet, where you can lose weight without crash dieting or compromising on nutrition. Download the Rati Beauty app for more details.